> Presentation of Gram
> Map of the
> The Castle
> The Castle Kitchen
The Wine Cellar
> Gramgård Hotel Apartments
> The Farm Shop
Park and Nature
> Our vision
> A Dream Come True
Castle for Everyone
Secrets of the Castle
Goldmark and 800 Years
The Castle Archive
We are in the process of building a ‘Castle Archive’. It will present the history of Gram Castle, based on historical facts and anecdotes, and it will also show old postcards, pictures etc.
Gram Castle is about history, culture, nature and architecture. We communicate this every day, in guided tours, in cultural heritage treasure hunts for children or in short introductions at company seminars. Here is a short summary:
A King’s mansion
The earliest mention of Gram Castle is from 1231, where Gram Castle was a mansion with 3-4 farms owned by King Valdemar. Around 1470 Gram passes to the ownership of the Rewentlow Family and at that time, Gram has become one of the major mansions in Southern Jutland, owning up to 90-100 farms.
Field marshal Hans Schack
The history of Gram Castle often intersects with the Danish History. In 1659 Hans Schack had helped the King by first defeating the Swedish troops which had besieged Copenhagen, and thereafter, as a field marshal, he contributed to freeing Denmark of the siege. He became a powerful and rich man, and as a reward for his deeds, he was given Møgeltønder Len (today known as Schackenborg). In 1664 he bought Gram Castle.
The Schack/Brockenhuus-Schack Family owned Gram Castle until the summer of 2007. Since the 17th century, the history of Gram Castle has been marked by this family and – not least – the fact that Southern Jutland was a border region between the Danish Kingdom and the German Duchies. It is an exiting history with war and peace, greatness and fall, masters and servants, fat and lean years.
An important location
Gram is located in a river valley between two hills. This location has been crucial for the significance of the Castle. Having a castle placed on a sandbar surrounded by water in the early medieval times made it possible to protect oneself against dangers and control the traffic in the area. At the same time, the river valley was an obvious ford to be used, also when transporting goods from Haderslev to Ribe. This was a route, which connected The Baltic Sea to the North Sea, allowing access to the rest of Europe. It has therefore been important to possess Gram.
The nature as a foundation
On the whole, the nature has had significance for Gram Castle: the forests have provided timber for houses, wood for fuel and basis for hunting. The subsoil has supplied clay for tiles even earlier. Gram Å (the stream) was dammed, and for centuries there was a mill. Today the power station, established in 1992, is operating.
The buildings of Gram Castle consist of three wings, built over three centuries: 15th, 16th and the 17th. Thus, the Castle has architectonic features from the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and the Baroque.
Click on the images to see in large scale